General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Privacy Notice Policy - Parents/Pupils
Who processes your information?
Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre is the data controller of the personal information you give us. This means the school decides how any personal data relating to pupils and their families is to be processed.
In some cases, your data will be shared with a third party processor; however, this will only be done with your consent, unless the law requires the school to share your data. Where the school shares data to a third party processor, the same data protection standards that Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre upholds are imposed on the processor.
Matthew Ginn is the Data Protection Officer, whose role is to oversee and monitor the school’s data protection procedures, and to ensure the school is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulations. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Why do we collect and use your information?
Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre holds the legal right to collect and use personal data relating to pupils and their families, and we may also receive information regarding them from their previous school, Local Authority (LA) and/or the Department for Education (DfE). We collect and use personal data in order to meet legal requirements and legitimate interests set out in the GDPR and UK law, including those in relation to the following:
- Article 6 and Article 9 of the GDPR
- Education Act 1996
- Regulation 5 of The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013
In accordance with the above, the personal data of pupils and their families is collected and used for the following reasons:
- To safeguard pupils
- To support pupil learning
- To monitor and report on pupil progress
- To provide appropriate pastoral care
- To assess the quality of our service
- To comply with the law regarding data sharing
Data that is collected
The categories of pupil information that the school collects, holds and shares include the following:
- Personal information – e.g. names, pupil numbers and addresses
- Emergency Contact
- Characteristics – e.g. ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility
- Attendance information – e.g. number of absences and absence reasons
- Attainment, progress and assessment information
- Relevant medical information
- Information relating to SEND
- Behavioural information
- Images of pupils engaging in school activities
Whilst the majority of the personal data you provide to the school is mandatory, some is provided on a voluntary basis. When collecting data, the school will inform you whether you are required to provide this data or if your consent is needed. Where consent is required, the school will provide you with specific and explicit information with regards to the reasons the data is being collected and how the data will be used.
How long is your data stored for?
Personal data relating to pupils at Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre and their families is stored in line with the school’s GDPR Data Protection Policy and Retention Policy. The school keeps information about pupils on secure computer systems as well as on paper.
In accordance with the GDPR, the school does not store personal data indefinitely; data is only stored for as long as is necessary to complete the task for which it was originally collected.
Will my information be shared?
The school is required to share pupils’ data with the DfE on a statutory basis.
The National Pupil Database (NPD) is managed by the DfE and contains information about pupils in schools in England. Ethelred Nursery school and Children’s Centre is required by law to provide information about our pupils to the DfE as part of statutory data collections, such as the school census; some of this information is then stored in the NPD. The DfE may share information about our pupils from the NDP with third parties who promote the education or wellbeing of children in England by:
- Conducting research or analysis.
- Producing statistics.
- Providing information, advice or guidance.
The DfE has robust processes in place to ensure that the confidentiality of any data shared from the NDP is maintained.
Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre will not share your personal information with any third parties without your consent, unless the law allows us to do so. The school routinely shares pupils’ information with:
- Pupils’ destinations upon leaving the school
- Lambeth Local Authority
- The NHS
- The DfE
- Professional advisors, such as the police, lawyers
What are your rights?
Parents and pupils have the following rights in relation to the processing of their personal data.
You have the right to:
- Be informed about how Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre uses your personal data
- Request access to the personal data that Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre holds
- Request that your personal data is amended if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- Request that your personal data is erased where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- Request that the processing of your data is restricted
- Object to your personal data being processed
Where the processing of your data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. Any use of your child’s information before you withdraw your consent remains valid.
If you have a concern about the way Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre and/or the DfE is collecting or using your personal data, you can raise a concern with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted on 0303 123 1113, Monday-Friday 9.00am-5.00pm.
I, _______________________________, declare that I understand:
- Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre has a legal and legitimate interest to collect and process my personal data in order to meet statutory requirements
- How my data is used
- Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre may share my data with the DfE, and subsequently the LA
- Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre will not share my data to any other third parties without my consent, unless the law requires the school to do so
- Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre will always ask for explicit consent where this is required, and I must provide this consent if I agree to the data being processed
- My data is retained in line with the school’s GDPR Data Protection Policy
- My rights to the processing of my personal data
- Where I can find out more information about the processing of my personal data